Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
$5 Campaign Issue
Wed January 15, 2014
$5 Donation Becomes Issue In Alabama Race
Five dollars has become an issue in the race for lieutenant governor.
Lt. Gov. Kay Ivey's campaign treasurer, Will Sellers, made a $5 donation Tuesday to her Republican primary opponent, Stan Cooke. Sellers sent the money through Cooke's campaign website hours after candidates for statewide office were supposed to suspend fundraising.
Cooke says it was a deliberate attempt to trap him.
Sellers says he noticed that Cooke's website was still accepting donations after the cutoff, and he decided to have some fun by making a small donation.
Cooke says he returned the donation and made sure that his website stopped accepting additional donations.