Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue July 9, 2013
30 Arrested During UMWA Protest In W.Va.
Thirty people have been arrested during a United Mine Workers of America protest against Patriot Coal in West Virginia.
UMWA President Cecil Roberts and AFL-CIO Vice President Arlene Holt-Baker are among those arrested.
The UMWA says 5,000 people attended Tuesday's protest in Fairmont.
They came from Alabama, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia.
United Steelworkers President Leo Gerard told the crowd that every union is threatened if Patriot gets away with shedding legacy costs and breaking promises.
Last week, Patriot said it's imposing less severe wage and benefit cuts on its miners than it could have under a court ruling. The company also said it will keep retired workers' health plans unchanged for the next two months.