Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Politics & Government
Mon December 3, 2012
3 Seek Presidency of Ala Farmers Federation
Three people are vying to replace Jerry Newby as president of the Alabama Farmers Federation.
The Tuscaloosa News (http://bit.ly/V8Boze ) reports that state Rep. Richard Lindsey of Centre; Jimmy Parnell of Maplesville; and Ricky Wiggins of Covington County are candidates in the election.
The vote will be held Monday during the group's annual meeting in Montgomery.
The 65-year-old Newby announced earlier this year he wouldn't seek re-election. He served seven two-year terms.
The organization has about 380,000 members in the state. The presidential vote will be conducted at a closed session.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.