Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Sun February 23, 2014
3 Of Bentley's Opponents Seek Alabama Lottery
Three candidates for governor are running on state lottery platforms.
Both Democratic candidates for governor, former U.S. Rep. Parker Griffith of Huntsville and Fayette businessman Kevin Bass, are proposing a lottery to pay for college scholarships. One of the Republican candidates, former Morgan County Commissioner Stacy George, is advocating a lottery to pay for scholarships and several other programs.
To create a lottery, the Legislature must pass a constitutional amendment. Then voters must approve the amendment in a referendum Republican incumbent Robert Bentley says he has no problem with the Legislature doing that, but that he would vote against the referendum.
Bentley says he believes gambling is not a good way to fund education.
Politics & Government