Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu May 24, 2012
3 Alabama Metro Papers Cut Publication To 3 Days
Birmingham, AL – Three major Alabama daily newspapers will switch to publishing three days a week as part of a new focus on online news, in line with their new Orleans sister publication, The Times-Picayune.
The three papers in Birmingham, Mobile and Huntsville and The Times-Picayune announced the new strategy Thursday. All four are owned by the Newhouse family group.
Both announcements said there will be unspecified staff reductions. The changes will take place in the fall.
The Alabama papers said the changes will allow them to expand news-gathering efforts in an increasingly digital age.
The newspapers will be home-delivered and sold in stores on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)