Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Mon May 24, 2004
214th Returns After a Year of Duty
By Alabama Public Radio
Fort Benning, GA – 63 members of the Army's 214th Military Police Company based in Alexander City and Tuskegee returned to the US over the weekend.
The 214th has spent the past year in Iraq training the country's new national police force. Part of the 214th was welcomed home by friends and family Saturday at Fort Benning, Georgia. At one point during the celebration, soldiers stood close together in honor of Sergeant Aubrey Bell. Bell was killed in late October by a suicide bomber in Baghdad.
The rest of the 214th is expected to return to the State sometime today.