Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
Wed November 28, 2012
1st Candidate Announces For Alabama State Auditor
The race for state auditor in 2014 has begun.
Adam Thompson, the deputy chief of staff or Alabama's secretary of state, announced Wednesday that he will run as a Republican for auditor. The current auditor, Samantha Shaw, has served two terms and can't run again. Shaw said Wednesday she doesn't plan to seek any office in 2014 and will help her husband, Greg Shaw, with his re-election campaign for the Supreme Court.
Thompson worked in the state auditor's office when Beth Chapman held the post and then followed her to the secretary of state's office in 2007.
The auditor's office makes sure state agencies keep up with their property, ranging from laptop computers to heavy equipment. Thompson said that if elected, he plans to put the state's property database online.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.