Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Wed November 28, 2012
1st Candidate Announces For Alabama State Auditor
The race for state auditor in 2014 has begun.
Adam Thompson, the deputy chief of staff or Alabama's secretary of state, announced Wednesday that he will run as a Republican for auditor. The current auditor, Samantha Shaw, has served two terms and can't run again. Shaw said Wednesday she doesn't plan to seek any office in 2014 and will help her husband, Greg Shaw, with his re-election campaign for the Supreme Court.
Thompson worked in the state auditor's office when Beth Chapman held the post and then followed her to the secretary of state's office in 2007.
The auditor's office makes sure state agencies keep up with their property, ranging from laptop computers to heavy equipment. Thompson said that if elected, he plans to put the state's property database online.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.