Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Wed November 28, 2012
1st Candidate Announces For Alabama State Auditor
The race for state auditor in 2014 has begun.
Adam Thompson, the deputy chief of staff or Alabama's secretary of state, announced Wednesday that he will run as a Republican for auditor. The current auditor, Samantha Shaw, has served two terms and can't run again. Shaw said Wednesday she doesn't plan to seek any office in 2014 and will help her husband, Greg Shaw, with his re-election campaign for the Supreme Court.
Thompson worked in the state auditor's office when Beth Chapman held the post and then followed her to the secretary of state's office in 2007.
The auditor's office makes sure state agencies keep up with their property, ranging from laptop computers to heavy equipment. Thompson said that if elected, he plans to put the state's property database online.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.