Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Tue September 3, 2013
11th Circuit Rejects Alabama St. Appeal In Lawsuit
Federal judges are rejecting Alabama State University's appeal of a $1 million court judgment for sexual harassment.
The Montgomery Advertiser reported that the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against the school in a 23-page decision on Tuesday.
Three former employees won more than $1 million total in a lawsuit that claimed two top administrators made numerous inappropriate comments and created a hostile work environment.
The suit accused former chief operating officer John Knight of repeated sexual advances. It claimed associate executive director LaVonette Bartley used racial slurs.
The judges wrote that the case should concern every Alabama taxpayer. They say they're left to wonder who is in charge at the school.
Alabama State hasn't commented on the decision, but it has the option of appealing.
Politics & Government