Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Oil Spill Indictment
Thu August 8, 2013
10 Accused Of Ala. Oil Spill Fund Fraud Indicted
State officials say 10 people accused of filing fraudulent BP oil spill compensation claims have been indicted.
Attorney General Luther Strange said Thursday that the defendants are accused of creating and submitting fraudulent documents claiming that they lost income because of the oil spill.
Officials say the suspects are charged with theft of property, criminal conspiracy to commit theft of property and possession of a forged instrument.
Investigators say the defendants range from 24 to 43 years old and are from Bayou La Batre, Irvington, Theodore, Mobile and Chickasaw.
Authorities say if convicted, the defendants face between two and 20 years in prison, and fines for each of their charges.
In early May, two people from Birmingham pleaded guilty to scamming BP out of more than $83,000.